Wednesday 7 December 2011

Some Afterthoughts

Now that the project is finished, we can take some time to put down some afterthoughts and lessons learned. Lisa and myself will also be going through the posts and adding a little more detail regarding quantities and exact ingredients used. If there's anything we missed, just comment and we'll get back to you.

1. Dough thickness - From what I've seen, our dough came particularly thick when baked. Being my first gingerbread house I didn't see the problem, but other people have constantly told me its out of the norm and that it should be much thinner. The recipe we used said to spread out the dough at a quarter inch, which is what we did, so I'm not really disappointed. The advantage of thick walls is more stability, and less time needed to assemble as they stick quick easily and stay in place quicker.

2. The base - In retrospect I wouldn't go through all the hassle of a base again, unless it was a really heavily terrained one with valleys and rivers. For simple rivers or lakes the easy way would be to just spread icing on the surface of a flat base. The effect won't be bad.

3.The christmas tree. We're very please with this, but my worry is how edible it is. Since its just an ice cream cone and icing, it might be too sweet to actually enjoy eating. An idea that came to mind this morning was to first cover the cone in nutella before putting on the green and red icing. This will give it some good taste that's not just sugar and at the same time make the tree look more bulky and help the icing stick to it. Problem with nutella is it doesn't really dry, so I'll have to think about that.

Anyone else has anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment